Everything must have a beginning and the beginning of strapless freestyle tricks starts with the straight air, as this trick is the start to all other tricks. Having the ability and being able to recognize when the board is secure to your feet without straps is essential to progressing your strapless abilities.
1) Like any jump, whether it’s strapped or strapless, to leave the water you must load up the kite and board by setting a rail and edging against the kite. This creates added tension in the lines that you will use to lift you off the water.
2) As you load up your board, turn the nose of the board slightly into the wind, just enough so as you leave the water the bottom of the board is faced into the wind. You may point the toes of your feet to help you do this if you feel necessary.
3) Though out the air, make sure to keep the bottom of the board facing into the wind; if the upwind rail goes low enough for the wind to hit the top of the board, the board will fly off your feet.
4) Spot your landing and land like you would a normal strapped jump.
1) Take you back hand off the bar, it is easier to rotate your body to a position that allows you to get the bottom of the board up and facing the wind.
2) Use the chicken loop to speed up or slow down to stay connected with your board in the air.
3) If possible, time your take off with a ‘kicker’ such as a small wave or chop to help you initiate your jump.
Want to take this Tutorial to go? Download the E-book by signing up to the Reo Stevens Coaching mailing list to take this an many more tutorials with you to the beach on your mobile device! You’ll also stay up to date on new tutorials and travel trips offered by Reo Stevens Coaching.